Part-time Dairy Technology Post-grad Certificate on offer
29th March 2018
University College Cork (UCC), in association with Teagasc has developed a part-time, blended-learning Postgraduate Certificate in Dairy Technology and Innovation. This qualification launched and ran very successfully in 2016/17 is now being run for a third year.
Aims and Objectives
On successful completion of this programme, graduates will be able to:
- Describe the principal components of milk and their roles in dairy products.
- Evaluate the relationships between the principal unit operations used in dairy processing and their effects on product composition, nutrient quality and organoleptic properties.
- Analyse dairy processing practices that eliminate or reduce the likelihood of microbiological contamination of dairy foods.
- Develop strategies for the control of dairy spoilage organisms.
- Describe the key factors affecting growth and survival of microorganisms relevant to dairy production and food safety.
- Evaluate the domestic and global food/dairy business, with a keen awareness of the challenges and opportunities facing the industry.
- Contribute effectively to multi-disciplinary teams, with good people-related skills, such as communication, influencing, interpersonal, team working, listening and customer focus.
- Comprehend the need for confidentiality and ethical practice in the workplace.
This level 9 qualification is part-time and will be delivered by block-release and on-line with a schedule to suit the seasonal nature of the Irish dairy industry.